Who We Are
Established by the Daughters of Charity as an orphanage and school in 1834, St. Joseph’s Villa is the oldest and largest continuously operating children’s nonprofit organization in metropolitan Richmond. The Villa moved to its present location in Henrico County in 1931, thanks to a generous gift from Major James H. Dooley.
The Daughters of Charity withdrew from the Villa in 1977, and today, St. Joseph’s Villa is a nonsectarian (non-religious), 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The Villa annually serves more than 2,000 children and families.
The mission of St. Joseph's Villa is to provide children with special needs and their families the opportunity to succeed through innovative and effective programs.
St. Joseph's Villa and its employees strive to hold dear each of the following core values:
Each person we work with has a treasure within themselves. When we open our hearts, we can see it more clearly.
We know that the people we serve can transform their lives. We will imagine their brighter future, certain they will make it a reality.
We will do everything we can to help the people we serve. Our passion will inspire others.
We are honest and straightforward in our dealings with others. Our respect for them strengthens our relationships.
None of us can succeed alone. We will strengthen each other and our community by sharing our ideas and energy.